Saturday, May 26, 2012

the art of haggling.


"The Art of the Bargain" - NY Times Local

This is a great video that provides a neat insight into the art of haggling. Some great tips on what to ask, how to ask, and what not to say. Also, the video helps to understand the vendor point of view in relation to asking for a cheaper price.

Now, let me state - I rarely, if ever, haggle. Why don't I? I can't say for sure. Sometimes it is intimidation. While turning 30 soon, I still look like I could be in high school. This tends to hinder the flea market process at times, especially when I have people explain to me what an item is (when I am fully aware of what it is and its' purpose) or when they explain a historical event to me... why yes, I know why WWII was fought.. I have an MA in Holocaust studies, so I'm sure of this. But, I can rant about this in another post. My point being - vendors think I am a 19 year old that is interested in buying a WWII photograph and because they think I'm young, they deem me not knowledgeable about the item and therefore  set a price that is no where near what the item is valued for. With their mindset, the haggle will not work.

Another reason why I do not haggle is because I just do not want the item that much that I'll bother to ask for a lower price. This can work in your favor though too. Often times I'll ask what the price is for an item, receive a number, and then politely say no thanks. As I put the item back or start walking away, sometimes vendors shout out a lower price - and that's when your golden. 

Other times I don't haggle because I do not feel it is necessary A fair price is a fair price. I know that when I sell items at a garage/community sale and even though not in a flea setting, at times I do get offended when people ask for a lower price. This usually happens when my asking price is low to begin with, say $2, and the person asks if I will take $.50. That's a big jump there.

Haggling Tips:
1. Ask the right way - "Would you take..." not "I'll give you...". The difference is the first is open to negotiation while the other seems set from the get-go.
2. If you are looking at more than one item, go for the bundle. Often times you will get a cheaper price when you are buying a few things. The seller gets to go home with a lighter load and you keep more cash in your pocket.
3. Be nice. Don't offer rude comments about the condition of the item. While haggling because of a chip/crack is acceptable, don't go overboard. You are interested in the item after all. 
4. Listen to others. If I am interested in something and the seller is bargaining with another customer, I will casually listen to how their conversation goes. You will be able to have a better judgement if the haggle will go in your favor by listening to other hagglers do the same.

~ Flea Fact ~
If you don't ask, you'll never know. Even I manage to haggle when I want an item bad enough. So, go ahead and try. You'll either come home with a piece that you got at a great price or come home with a few extra dollars in your pocket, ready to be used at the next flea!

No comments:

Post a Comment