Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Betting on Clark Griswold - A Taz Mug Find

“Shitter's full!” Say this phrase and many people will know what you are referring to. Show them a glass shaped like a moose head with antlers for the handles and many people will know what you are referring to. Drink out of a Tazmanian Devil mug and many people will…. what? Read on & learn.
A few months ago while perusing The Danni App Facebook page (“Like” the page now! Well, wait until you are done reading this post first!) I came across a BOLO – Be On the Look Out – for a Taz mug. I thought what could be the big deal about this mug since it was just a ceramic face of the Looney Toon character, who never was one of my favorites. The big deal was the winning auction price at a whopping $127! For a Taz mug! I was intrigued and began reading everyone’s comments about the mug.
While I love National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and have watched it many, many times, the scene where Clark Griswold is drinking out of a Taz mug at the office was never one of the main scenes that stuck out in my head. While I may have forgotten about it, others definitely have not. Apparently having this mug is a big deal, a big deal that brings in bring money on EBay.


I stumbled upon my very own Taz mug one day when I was visiting an antique store by my house, one that I have been to many times. I’m sure this Taz mug had been sitting at this certain booth for quite some time, but I just never noticed it with “eBay vision”. It was sitting next to a Miss Piggy mug, which my eyes quickly bypassed as my pupils grew wide with seeing this Tasmanian devil. It felt like I had found the holy grail of Christmas mugs! I turned the little white tag over to find the selling price of $20. $20?!? I couldn’t believe it. This price seemed too steep for my blood, but knowing that they are popular on eBay, I took out my phone and did a quick search while I nonchalantly looked through the rest of the booth. 
There were a few mugs that were up for auction, with bids ranging in the $50-$70 mark. A buy it now option of $149.99 made me chuckle as I switched to looking at the sold listings. Every mug that had been listed had sold.. and not just for mere pennies. Most auctions ended with bids between $90 and $120 and even higher priced buy it now options had been purchased. Obviously this was a no-brainer in regards to purchasing, but I left the store and left the Taz mug behind because I couldn't justify spending $20 on it.
This decision haunted me for the rest of that night and into the next morning, when after looking a little bit more on eBay, I decided that leaving this mug at the store was a bad decision. A profit was pretty much guaranteed and I would more than get my money back. Off to the antique store I went, where the mug was still sitting in its' spot, ready and waiting. Lucky for me, that weekend the store was having a special holiday event with most booths having sales. The mug's price was dropped down to $16 and I left the store eager to get listing!
It was a slow go with the auction, getting plenty of views and watchers, but no bidders. I had an offer of $70 with free shipping, which I immediately passed on. I had started the auction at $49.95, following in the footsteps of other sold mugs, and knew to wait it out. As the days went by and no bids, I began to wonder if maybe my purchase was a mistake. I added the option of a buy it now for around $90 something, lowering it down to $85.95 with two days left in the auction. There were a few other Taz mugs listed at the same time, all with bids. I was sweating!
Finally, within the last day or so, the bidding started. Dollar by dollar, the bids increased until the winning bidder won at $106.67! I ended up walking away with around $75 profit, after fees which isn't too bad for spending $16. Would I do it again? I'm not sure. Knowing that the mug would sell, I knew that spending the $16 wasn't going to be too big of a risk. Making a $75 profit was good, but that profit would have been even better if I would have paid much less for the mug (say around $1 to $5). 
Lesson: One can't be afraid to spend money to make money in the eBay reselling world. However, you need to make sure that whatever money you spend, you can clearly make a profit on, especially if you are spending larger amounts of cash. While spending $16 might not seem like much to some people, if you can only make double that in profit, it really isn't worth your time or effort. Buy low, sell high!

4 comments:

  1. I have been in this situation many times, not really wanting to spend more than $10 on anything I was going to resell, but since I started following the Danni App on FB, her newletters and motivational clips have been a big help! I opened an Ebay store back in Oct and so glad I made the jump! Good luck reselling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Connie- thanks for your comment! I too follow Danni and became an Appster last month. I've learned a lot but still have so much to learn & I look forward to turning that learning into bigger profits! Good luck with your online selling as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I recently bought this Taz mug about 3 months ago. "National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation" is one of my favorite movies.
    My wife and I were browsing through Goodwill when I came across this mug sitting on a shelf, surrounded by what seemed hundreds of lost coffee mugs. I asked my wife if it was the same mug and she shrugged her shoulders, so I looked it up on Google and saw it was the same mug! I bought it because it would make a great decoration in my mancave!
    Last night we were watching "The Twilight Zone" and I asked how cool it would be to watch an old movie and see the same painting in the movie that you had just purchased at a thrift store.
    Then it hit me! I was curious about how common/rare this mug must be. I went on Ebay to look up how much they're selling for, but couldn't find any listed. I clicked on "Sold Items" and my heart dropped! I couldn't believe my eyes!!! These mugs are selling for $80+!!! And just to think that I bought the mug for a small $2 price tag! I do not plan on selling the mug, it was meant to be in my mancave!! I just wanted to share this with you because you really never know what you have!

    ReplyDelete